Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Magic of Photoshop!



I wasn't a photographer in the film age, at least not one who earned income from my photography. My father had a darkroom, enlarger, the chemicals etc. but for me it was just the joy of shooting then. Post-production work? What was that? In fact, I have no idea how editing was done then, if it was done, the way it can be done today. The digital age of photography is absolutely amazing! All the various software products available to a professional photographer can stagger your mind very quickly.

As a wedding photographer, I have learned to work very hard to anticipate the action and compose the shot in a manner that will allow the least amount of post-production work. Even still, the image may need some editing to create what the client wants to see in the final print, rather than what really happened. The two images shown illustrate that point. They also illustrate the magic of Photoshop. The client wanted the minister out of the final print. They also wanted the print to show the actual emotion of their first kiss as husband and wife, not a posed shot after the ceremony. SO, first you see him....then you don't.

Click on each image to enlarge and you will see the difference in the details of the edit. The print lab complimented me on the edited version. That made me smile and want to share!

No comments: